Re: Oracle and Novell

From: Richard W. Harris <rwh4+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 07:57:59

In article <1994Oct14.175902.3456_at_nntpxfer.psi.com> Scott Mattes <Mattes_at_navsealog.i-net.com> writes:
>From: Scott Mattes <Mattes_at_navsealog.i-net.com>
>Subject: Oracle and Novell
>Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 18:02:16 GMT

> We are looking at migrating our main db app to a Novell network and
>Oracle 7 for DOS. I am uneasy about performance and would like to talk to
>anyone(s) who might have this config.

I could be wrong, but I thought Oracle dropped the DOS platform with the advent of Oracle 7. I think the last version you can get for DOS is 6.

I repeat, I could be wrong on this.

> Also, we will be migrating from Oracle 6 on an IBM mainframe to the
>Oracle 7 on Novell.

We recently switched for Oracle 6 for Novell to Oracle 7 for Novell. We've been happy with the performance gains and many of the new features of version 7. HOWEVER, we have a large database, and we turned up a bug in version 7.0.16.6.0 (we're waiting for a fix from Oracle). When you run a long query that doesn't send any feedback to the client until it is done (e.g. SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ...), you will lose your SPX server connection in slightly under two minutes. It just times you out and dissconnects you.

That's the only problem we've had, and luckily we've been able to work around it. Other than that it's great, and hopefully we'll be getting a fix soon besides. Two important notes, however.

  1. The Novell version really should be running on NetWare 3.12. It will run under 4, but it's not happy about it.
  2. It should be running on a dedicated server. For example, we have the thing running on a machine with just a 5 user license. The NetWare installation doesn't even have 5 named users.

That said, if I had my choice, I'd have this thing on a UNIX platform. Unix is more stable, and you get newer versions of the software sooner. Oracle 7 was out for Unix for over a year before the Novell version was out. Unix is up to 7.1 while NetWare is still at 7.0. I don't know how they compare in term of performance. I've heard that the Novell version actually outperforms many Unix versions, but I don't understand how that claims takes raw system performance into account. Seems to me that if you put a big enough engine behind the Unix version, it will crank regardless. You can turn a bathtub into a high-performance speedboat if you mount a big enough outboard motor on it.

Hope this helps,

  • Rick

Richard Harris, Systems Analyst (rwh4+_at_pitt.edu) Office Systems Services, University of Pittsburgh

"Long as you're not afraid, nobody can run your life  for you. Remember that. Hell is being scared of things.  Heaven is refusing to be scared. I mean that literally."

  • Boomer, "Skinney Legs and All" by Tom Robbins