Re: Oracle Desktop 6.3x for MS Windows only in Standard Mode????

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 21:10:19 GMT

In article <376l5s$171_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu> holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>From: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak)
>Subject: Re: Oracle Desktop 6.3x for MS Windows only in Standard Mode????
>Date: 8 Oct 1994 13:33:48 -0400

>rujo_at_ulrik.uio.no (Rune J|rgensen) writes:

>>Is it correct that this product cannot run under MS Windows 3.1x
>>in enhanced mode?

>>-Rune Jorgensen
>> rujo_at_extern.uio.no

>I'm not sure of the exact Oracle tools you are using but
>if they are the MS-DOS versions of SQL*Forms 3.0 and
>SQL*Menu 5.x then your statement is true. Here's why.

>Oracle's DOS tools and DOS RDBMS version 6 make use of
>an extended memory manager called SQL*PME. This
>memory manager is incompatible with the memory
>manager MS-Windows uses while running in Enhanced mode.

>There are versions of RUNFORM and RUNMENU that can
>run under MS-Windows in Enhanced mode but you can
>only run them against a remote server (not a local
>copy of the RDBMS for DOS).

>If you would like to do development on a single
>DOS/Windows machine, there is a way to get the
>DOS RDBMS (version 6) and some Windows tools
>such as SQL*Plus and the RUNFORM and RUNMENU
>described above, to run together. It requires
>quite a bit of memory and you must run Windows
>in Standard mode (i.e. start Windows with: WIN /S).

>If single user devlopment is what you are after,
>I'd recommend going with the OS/2 operating system
>and using the OS/2 version of the RDBMS.

>If your goal is to use the DOS or Windows tools
>against a remote oracle database, then you will
>need the Windows version of SQL*Net for
>your particular protocol. Again, SQL*Net under
>MS-DOS is incompatible with Windows' Enhanced mode.

>I know this sounds confusing. If you
>have any other specific questions, please
>ask.

>Rich Holowczak
>Rutgers University
>holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu

The DOS Oracle tools are on their way out. Forms 4.0 and Reports 2.0 are Windows products and last time I checked there was not going to be a DOS version of these products. I wouldn't start any new development with these products. For standalone development Oracle has a Windows RDBMS 7 in beta now and it will run with the Forms 4.0 on one box. (a big box) Received on Tue Oct 18 1994 - 22:10:19 CET

Original text of this message