Re: HP or Sun for Oracle

From: Jim Healy <jhealy_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Oct 1994 22:58:49 GMT

In article <781852584snz_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>, psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk (Paul Beardsell) writes:
> In article <89B7503.03890015A3.uuout_at_compudata.com>
> barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com "BARRY ROOMBERG" writes:
>
> > -> I don't believe it. Quote from your source. I imagine the doc you

> Will an Oracle employee comment?

Sure, I'd be happy to comment since this thread is beginning to annoy me somewhat.

Sun and Oracle have indeed exchanged source code for joint engineering purposes, not marketing hype. I should know since I've had the opportunity to examine a fair amount of Solaris source and SunSoft product source.

There's a ton of reasons why this is mutually beneficial to both companies. Performance tuning. Bug finding and fixing. Testing. Faster product cycles. Future hardware and software development.

Performance tuning in particular is a very complicated process which takes into account much more than just POSIX calls or reading/writing bytes to the OS. Any vendor that restricts its tuning efforts to only these areas will be out of business pretty quickly.

I don't know whether HP or Sequent also have Oracle source since I don't work directly with those vendors. But I can tell you that the engineering staffs at Oracle and Sun strongly favored the source code exchange. It just made our jobs a whole lot easier to do.

Jim Healy
Senior Technical Staff
Sun Products Divison
Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Oct 18 1994 - 23:58:49 CET

Original text of this message