Re: Oracle and Novell

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 23:11:27 GMT

>On 14 Oct 94 03:02pm, Scott Mattes wrote to ALL:

> SM> Newsgroup: comp.databases.oracle

> SM> We are looking at migrating our main db app to a Novell network and
> SM> Oracle 7 for DOS. I am uneasy about performance and would like to talk
> SM> to anyone(s) who might have this config.
>
> Be more specific. Which tool? Oracle Forms? Windows?

I am using Oracle7 for Netware and can state that performance is not bad considering the price. I do have a relatively small database (maybe 400 meg) and feel that it is quite adequate for that level. I would like to point out that any UNIX platform would be superior. Novell is basically a file and print server and is not meant to be an application server. I would not use it in a mission critical environment or with more then 15 or twenty users.

> SM> Also, we will be migrating from Oracle 6 on an IBM mainframe to the
> SM> Oracle 7 on Novell.
>
> Depends on the size of your database and the number of simultaneos
> users. I experienced many problems with Oracle 6 on Novell many
> years ago. I don't know how Oracle 7 is performing now on NetWare.

Personnally I don't think this is a good idea. Your IBM mainframe application must be fairly large (considering the cost of such a beast) and I strongly recommend going with a SUN. A netware server couldn't hack that kind of workload. I have one static table that has 180,000 records and a search on an indexed field still takes 3 or 4 seconds. ( The platform is a pentium with a raid on it and 64 meg of memory. It is a dedicated Oracle Server)

> SM> Thanks in advance.

> Sorry, I didn't help you!

>bye,

Later

Robert Hart Received on Tue Oct 18 1994 - 00:11:27 CET

Original text of this message