Restoration of temporary tablespace.

From: Pavan Muzumdar <pmuzu_at_ctp.com>
Date: 17 Oct 1994 22:38:17 GMT

Hi all,

Last week, someone inadvertently deleted the datafile that corresponds to the temporary tablespace in our database. So far the database has not really filled up with a lot of data and I don't believe that the tablespace is being used in any operations. This is because the database is still running and all sql statements are getting executed as expected.

I know I can perform a media recovery using a backup of this tablespace, and then apply the logs to make it up to date. But my question is as follows: Since none of the data in the tablespace really needs to be consistent with the rest of the tablespaces, can I just copy the datafile over and expect normal operation from then on? I understand I might have to do this by protecting the datafile by "offline" and "online" statements.

Version and Platform details:

Oracle 7.0.16.6
HP/UX 9.04
HP9000 847.

Thanks!

Pavan.

--
Pavan V. Muzumdar
Cambridge Technology Partners, Cambridge, MA 02139.