Re: Oracle OBACKUP

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 18:21:13 +0000

In article <89B3527.03890014D1.uuout_at_compudata.com>

           barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com "BARRY ROOMBERG" writes:

> -> We're looking for more information on OBACKUP for the HP9000. What
> -> does it do? Our backup software (Legato Networker) requires it for
> -> their database backup module so we can backup and restore tables
> -> without taking them offline. We're curious about the cost of the
> -> OBACKUP product. Please reply by mail and I will summarize if there
> -> is interest in the subject.
>
> Huh? What's wrong with using normal Oracle backup procedure,
> ie: ALTER TABLESPACE BLAH BEGIN BACKUP, do your DD,
> ALTER TABLESSPACE BLAH END BACKUP, force a bunch of log switches,
> archive'em off, and you're done!

I'd be interested in the summary, we are about to talk to Oracle about OBACKUP for our about-to-be-implemented big d'base. As far as I know, the thing about OBACKUP is the way it can parallelise operations that you'd normally do using the `normal' warm backup procedure. Hint; back up your control file before AND after a warm backup.

--
Tom Cooke               tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk             +44 (0)1782 748027
North Staffordshire Hospital Computer Centre, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK