Re: Oracle7 hot backups / table availability

From: Sandor Nieuwenhuijs <snieuwen_at_nl.oracle.com>
Date: 16 Oct 1994 15:04:51 GMT

Davide Gaetano (sysdfg_at_gsusgi1.gsu.edu) wrote:
: I am planning to use oracle7 in a high availability environment.
: I must be able to access the tables for update while they are
: being backed up, and still have good backup. Is this a problem ?

If you do a hot backup the way it is described in the administrators manuals, YES. Oracle allows OnLine backup & restore (!) on an active database, where updates etc are still allowed, with minimal impact on the performance, except for the extra disk I/O.

: Also, does anyone have any information of backup/recover times
: for a ~20Gig database ? The platform will be a UNIX server, the
: specific server hardware has not yet been selected.

With the new parallel backup in Oracle7 Release 7.1 the backup speed is practically unlimited. A test has been conducted where they measured a backup speed of around 50 Gb/hour, with multiple tape drives ofcourse.

Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
Oracle Netherlands

  • These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
  • Corporation in this Posting ---