linux

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.fido.chi.il.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 94 10:31:49 -0500

  • Quoting Sandor Nieuwenhuijs to All dated 10-15-94 ***
    > As you post this to comp.databases.oracle, I guess you mean to ask
    > whether ORACLE is available on Linux. The answer is: no it isn't.
    > I have seen some messages from people who did run ORACLE successfully
    > on Linux, using the Intel SVR4 port (iBCS2). I am still planning to
    > try it someday myself, just for fun, but I guess Oracle will never
    > release a product on Linux, but ofcourse you never know.

My understanding is that Oracle can't release a product on Linux, due to the Linux copyright structure. (In other words, they could release it, but they couldn't charge for it, which would kind of defeat the purpose.) Received on Sun Oct 16 1994 - 16:31:49 CET

Original text of this message