Re: SQL*Plus erorr message

From: Christopher Jones <cjones_at_au.oracle.com>
Date: 15 Oct 1994 07:12:24 GMT

In article <CxMMpG.1pD_at_netnews.whoi.edu> dhiltz_at_whsun2.whoi.edu (David Hiltz) writes:

> What does the message "Input truncated to 9 characters" mean?

You are probably missing a newline character at the end of a line in a command file. I used to get this a lot on EXIT statements before I discovered how to make emacs automatically force a final newline.

> Also, when I use a column command like so
> column negear format 099 heading 'GEAR|CODE' justify left
> I only get three character of the title, eg.
>
> GEA
> COD
> ---
> 050
>
> This seems to happen with varchar2 columns.

Are you really sure it's a varchar2? If so what is the db column width? The doc is wrong about default display widths. Recent versions of SQL*Plus have this in the release.doc:

 4-5 - First sentence of the fifth paragraph should read: "The

          default width of CHAR and VARCHAR2 (VARCHAR) columns is the
          width of the column in the database".

(numbers refer to the 3.1 UG&R).

You might want to use a SQL*Plus A4 column format and use a function in the select statement to get the leading 0.

Chris Received on Sat Oct 15 1994 - 08:12:24 CET

Original text of this message