Re: Triggers Problem

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 94 21:50:00 -0300

On 13 Oct 94 09:41am, Kevin Owens wrote to ALL:

[stuff deleted]

 KO> solution at this point. We have implemented hundreds of business rules
 KO> with Oracle triggers and here is how we solved this problem. First of
 KO> all we always coded to handle multi-row insert/update/delete. We
 KO> created PL/SQL tables in packages. The table is cleared in a
 KO> before-statement trigger; populated with :new/:old correlation values
 KO> at the row-level trigger (for each row of the multi-row) statment; then
 KO> read the table and perform the original operation in the
 KO> after-statement trigger. There are code examples in the October issue
 KO> of DATABASE Programming and Design Magazine, Miller Freeman Press, try
 KO> 800-444-4881 for .....try ...try 800-444-4881 for back issues.

That's the way. Is there any conceptual reason to be this way? Is it just consequence of Oracle's implementation of row-level triggers? Our work is getting harder with this kind of limitation. Other RDBMS has no row-level triggers, but once Oracle has it, what about a better implementation?!

Bye,

   ----->>>>>>>>>>>> Don't reply. Reply will not work! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

| Carlos Augusto Leite Netto | Voice : +55.192.51.1153 |
| Software Design Informatica | Fax : +55.192.54.6518 |
| Oracle VAR | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br |
| Software Development & DBA | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto) |

| Softex 2000 member | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city |
  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 111 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

User Name: Carlos Netto - ( %mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br ) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.