Re: ORACLE AND UNIX QUESTION

From: Steve - Schow <sjs_at_shell.portal.com>
Date: 13 Oct 1994 00:44:13 GMT

We did one test with two very similar machines, one using Raw devices and the other using UFS files and when we monitored disk i/o from UNIX, we noticed that the Raw device was only performing about 30% the number of writes that th UFS disk was. This is probably due to inode updating and so forth. Anyway you look at it, that's a LOT of writes. Our CPU was only getting used 40%. well we did another test with several concurrent connectinos hurling transactions at it at the same time and the CPU usage went way up.....so we gotta figure a way out of that one.

Still, you can't ignore the fact that there were 1/3 the number of disk writes with the raw device. Plus UNIX buffer cache was not being used, which means more memory available for Oracle buffer cache.

cheers

-steve

--

Steve Schow | But you don't need to use the claw sjs_at_corp.portal.com | if you pick the pear with the big 408-973-9111 | paw paw. Have I given you a clue? Received on Thu Oct 13 1994 - 01:44:13 CET

Original text of this message