And how would you do this?

From: Output Services <output_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 02:51:08 GMT

I'm implementing a minor job control system for our microfiche printer. Effectively, person A shows up with some customer data, loads it into the system where it gets processed and shows up as a job for person B to run on the microfiche printer.

Thus far we have been putting the processed job in standard Unix files (Solaris 2.3), but we are getting busier, and some jobs are several hundred megabytes in size. Now, our 2 Gig drive is starting to overflow, causing the loads to abort. So I think to myself, I've got Oracle, 4 gigs of tablespace unused, why not let Oracle do storage management?

So I started to do testing. I figure that a table could have all of the jobs in it, along with a Long Raw field for holding the job. Unfortunately, when I go to delete one record (as in the job has been processed), Oracle chews on rollback space like crazy, and takes forever. I timed the deletion of one record with a 98 meg job in it. It took 6 hours to complete.

Is this normal? Is there a better way?

Thanx in advance,
Marty Received on Wed Oct 12 1994 - 03:51:08 CET

Original text of this message