Re: Individual Indexes v.s. One "combinded" Index

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 21:34:00 -0300

On 12 Oct 94 12:35am, wrote to ALL:

> Newsgroup: comp.databases.oracle

> In article <2aa.456.846%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br>, Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br
> (Carlos Netto) writes: >
> ...stuff deleted ...

>> a) search for value 1 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)
>> b) search for value 6 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)
>> c) search for value 3 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)
>> d) search for value 9 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)
>> e) search for value 2 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)
>> f) search for value 0 -> 10,000 rows scan (in avarange, of course)

> I may have miss-understood what you were trying to say but ...

> Oracle will pick ONE index and retrieve all rows that satisfy THAT single
> criteria AND then examine each identified row to exclude those that fail
> the other column criteria.

        I wrote that Oracle can do something different, but ever less
        efficient than a concatenated index.

> This is the reason why it is best to have a concatenated index (or as
> unique as possible) that narrows down the candidate search rows very
> quickly.

        Of course. Sorry if you wrote it and I didn't understand it.

[deleted lines]

> I have never seen Oracle do the multiple index scanning (on one table) and
> then sort-merge that you have detailed above.

        I have seen it onece, but only for two index (not six). The operation
        described on explain isn't "sort-merge", but "and-equal".

bye,

   ----->>>>>>>>>>>> Don't reply. Reply will not work! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

|  Carlos Augusto Leite Netto   | Voice  : +55.192.51.1153                  |
|  Software Design Informatica  | Fax    : +55.192.54.6518                  |
|  Oracle VAR                   | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br |
|  Software Development & DBA   | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto)          |
|  Softex 2000 member           | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city    |
  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 109 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

User Name: Carlos Netto - ( %mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br ) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.