Re: Backup and recovery of Large databases

From: SANJAY PURI <skp_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10 Oct 1994 14:33:12 GMT

In <703873121wnr_at_carlc.demon.co.uk> Carl_at_carlc.demon.co.uk (Carl Churchman) writes:

>I am the Senior System administrator/DBA of a Sequent SE60.We
>have a large database of 40Gb which has to be highly available.
>At present we run hot backups 6 nights a week and run archiving.
>A cold backup is run on a Saturday night.These backups take about
>4 hours (not bad eh?) using 4 * 10GB (compressed) Exabyte tape drives
>and PTX/Backup. My problem is this:
> I have tried to recover the database on another machine,to test
>disaster recovery.The restore is still running and by my calculations
>is going to take about 42 hours!.How are you other DBA's backing up and
>recovering your large databases and how long do they take?
>
>Thanks
>

>Carl Churchman
>carl_at_carlc.demon.co.uk

Hi Carl,

Let us see how your database of 40GB is made of.

  1. If your database consists multiple applications, consider creating different users for different applications and keep data and indexes on separate tablespaces and separate disks. This will allow you to control the data backup and disaster recovery. My experience and guess is that all disks will not go bad at one time. This will allow you to do the recovery process for only disk which is quite manageable. ( If you want to get more ideas on this, do contact me on skp_at_ix.netcom.com).
  2. If entire 40GB is for one application, consider keeping diffetent tables in different tablespaces and in different disks. This also will help you to control the backup and recovery.
  3. If you are recovering entire database in one shot, my guess is that you will require a lot of working space.

Hope this will give you some idea.

Regards

Vijaya Kumar Nair Received on Mon Oct 10 1994 - 15:33:12 CET

Original text of this message