Individual Indexes v.s. One "combinded" Index

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 94 21:03:00 -0400

-> I created six individual indexes on a table and the indexes used a
-> total
-> of 7.5Megs. One index that contained the six columns used 2.3Megs.
->
-> So its a trade off of disk space v.s. use of index. Also, with
-> individual indexes I can drop any of the six indexes without
-> effecting
-> the other indexes (that's not such a big deal). With individual
-> you also have more flexibility in adjusting storage parameters.
->
-> Just curious what other people are doing or have to say.

My general response is to throw disk at the problem if it'll speed things up. Disk is cheap, people's time is expensive. Received on Mon Oct 10 1994 - 02:03:00 CET

Original text of this message