Unix Filesystem vs Raw Partition

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 94 21:09:00 -0400

-> I sent some comments recently to Joel Garry thru email instead of
-> posting it to the net. Anyway I was curious to see all the threads re
-> filesystem vs raw partition only address the performance issue but
-> not the data integrity issue. Using Unix file system
-> the data may still be in buffer while the DBMS thinks they are
-> already written to
-> disk. If the system crashes before the data is written out from
-> buffer to disk, there may be serious data integrity problem. I've
-> been to Sybase class and they all recommend using raw partition
-> instead of file system because of this proble m,
-> not because of the gain in performance. Does Oracle architecture some
-> how avoid this problem ?

Naw. Oracle issues a SYNC and refuses to do anything else if you use regular file system. That's another reason it's usually slower then raw, since it keeps on waiting for NON oracle stuff to be written that happens to be in the Unix cache. The IS an partially documented init.ora parameter (in V6 anyway) that will tell it to NOT wait for the sync, but the manual says don't use it unless Oracle support tell you to.

Note: Could you please modify your mailer to use shorter lines. I get a wrap on everyline from your message. Received on Mon Oct 10 1994 - 02:09:00 CET

Original text of this message