Re: ORACLE AND UNIX QUESTION

From: Output Services <output_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 01:16:04 GMT

In article <781720147snz_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk> psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk writes:
>In article <2aa.553.846%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br>
> Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br "Carlos Netto" writes:
>> I use raw-devices on a production machine. I don't know anything about
>> performance improvement. I choose to use raw-devices because it's possible
>> to loose a data-file when using fsck. But be sure, it's harder to administrate
>
>That's like saying that I leave the lawnmower outside so that we don't trip
>over it in the lounge.

I implemented raw FS at our site for the same reason. After a crash, fsck will come up with orphaned inodes that it will then "clear." This looks awfully spooky to me. Maybe I'm paranoid, and this is perfectly ok, but I don't think so. Altho, I'm still waiting for someone to run newfs against an "unmounted" oracle partition and waste the tablespace. :-)

Marty Received on Mon Oct 10 1994 - 02:16:04 CET

Original text of this message