Re: starting sqlnet automagically on a sun

From: Hank Robinson <cudau_at_csv.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: 6 Oct 1994 11:20:09 +0100

In article <khuisman.20.000FA6A5_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca>,

        khuisman_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca (Ken Huisman) writes:

> Im trying to get sqlnet to start automatically ( in the rc.local ) on a sun
> that i am helping with. it is located on a remote site ( and all the manuals
> are there ) so that makes it a little more difficult.

> does anyone know how to get sqlnet to start up automatically in the
> rc.local? I can't get it to work. I put the following in:

> su - oracle -c "/pathtooracle/bin/tcpctl port 1525 start"

> and it doesnt work. ( it complains about not being able to find tcputl ).

The trouble is that your root doesn't know about the oracle necessary environment variables, by default. Depending on the user `oracle's default shell, try one of these:

su - oracle -c ". /usr/local/bin/oraenv; /pathtooracle/bin/tcpctl port 1525 start"

su - oracle -c "source /usr/local/bin/coraenv; /pathtooracle/bin/tcpctl port 1525 start"

Sorry for going over 80 columns.

> if i do this manually, ie.
> su - oracle
> and then go to the bin directyr and type 'tcpctl port 1525 start'. it works
> fine.

> i dont get it! ( and the manuals are at the remote site! )

> please help!

Hope this helps.

> thanks.

You're welcome.

> Ken

>khuisman_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca

Hank Robinson
Oracle DBA
University of Warwick Received on Thu Oct 06 1994 - 11:20:09 CET

Original text of this message