Re: How to measure the speed

From: Disk Emulation Sys <diskmsys_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 20:57:07 GMT

Joel Garry (joelga_at_rossinc.com) wrote (prelim stuff deleted):
: So, if your requirement is a GUARANTEED access in 3 seconds, sorry, it
: can't be done. If your requirement is most accesses in 3 seconds, the
: answer is, "it depends..." On how much memory you have, more than
: anything, how many users, how often they are updating, how often they
: are inquiring, what else is going on, how well the application is
: designed and how well the design is executed. Among other things.
: Some situations will be cpu-bound, some disk-bound, some
: memory-bound, and the only way to tell if a particular configuration
: will work is empirically.

Too bad no "iostat" for non-Unix...

What's it worth to your client? Imagine having no I/O bottlenecks -- disk drives as fast as DRAM (and as expensive)... We have a customer in Ohio with a very similar scenario to the above. They went from an AS/400 to a 486! If interested, e-mail me and I'll share the full details. Robert at DES. BTW... We have an Oracle White Paper on GUARANTEED Performance available via snail mail (ie. need your street address to send it out) for those interested.

--
Disk Emulation Systems, Inc. (DES)
SCSI Solid-State Disk Emulators