Re: Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 13:25:02

>>I am not sure anyone seriously considering a production server would buy
>>Sybase or Oracle

> Ummmm. I don't think you will find a more stable and
> fault tolerant DB than these two unless you go to
> some proprietary DB but even then I don't think
> you will gain much.

> We need only look at the thousands (millions?) of shops running
> production Oracle and Sybase servers. Many of them 24 X 7.

> What did you have in mind ? DB2 perhaps ?

You misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I am not sure you would want to run on Novell. You most definitely consider running Sybase or Oracle on a Unix box or NT on a SMP box.

>>for that matter running on a Netware OS. The real comparison
>>should be made on SMP UNIX and NT boxes.
>>Thx Dave L

> Interesting point. So for anyone who wants to use Oracle
> in this way, they MUST go out and buy a high end SUN or
> equivalent ? I don't think so. Try telling this to
> the small or mid sized company that wants the power,
> security and robustness of an Oracle or Sybase database
> but does not have the resources to administer another
> box running UNIX or NT.

> There are tons of shops out there running Oracle on Netware.
> The recent crap about Oracle on Netware being more
> unstable than its UNIX counterparts is just that, crap.

Don't question its reliability just how soon before it runs out of gas and you need to upgrade to Unix or Nt. From what I gather NT SQL Server is fairly easy to administer.