Re: Oracle for PC or Unix??

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 20:22:41 +0000

In article <12a.5162.905_at_compudata.com>

           barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com "Barry Roomberg" writes:

> -> Unix is the leading multi-user OS, and Sun is far & away the most
> -> popular Unix platform. PC stands for Personal Computer. Now, which
> -> do you you think is suited as server & which as client? From the
> -> point of view of product robustness & platform admin tools?
>
> Huh? Trying to start a flame war?
> You ever hear of SCO Unix running on Intel PCs?
> They have FAR more copies running multiuser business systems
> then Sun does!
>
> While your point of PC (MS-DOS) would be valid, it certainly
> is subject to debate when running Unix on a PC.

Oh well, here goes nothing. We run SVR4, SCO, DOS, Novell, OS/2, and probably other things too, on Intel; we also run SVR4 on `mainframe' Unix systems (gosh, I get a kick out of that!). We run Oracle on the DOS, SCO and SVR4 systems. The chunkiest Intel system is a 60MHz Pentium, 64 MB RAM, 8 MB SCSI EISA cached controller, 3+ GB of disk, running SCO and character-based Oracle applications development. It's a screamer. I wouldn't swap it for *any* system running OS/2, Windows, NT, or any other OS, even though SCO isn't everything us System V freaks would like. Go on, flame me if you have to.

--
Tom Cooke               tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk             +44 (0)1782 748027
North Staffordshire Hospital Computer Centre, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK