Re: ORACLE AND UNIX QUESTION

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 94 21:03:00 -0300

On 4 Oct 94 01:13pm, Joel Garry wrote to ALL:

 JG> Newsgroup: comp.databases.oracle

[.....]

 JG> In article <36ct0p$jq2_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com> dhuet_at_DHUET-PC writes:
>>You simply substitute the filesystem path/filename with the
>>raw device:
>>
>>CREATE TABLESPACE FOO DATAFILE '/dev/rdsk/foodsk' SIZE 800M;
>>
>>The trick is to partition your disks correctly for all the files you want.
>>

 JG> The other trick is to remember that there is nothing preventing someone
 JG> from creating another unix filesystem right on top of your Oracle files,
 JG> so be sure you have adequate control over who has the authority to do
 JG> such things.

 JG> Other tidbits that have come out of previous threads:

 JG> Quite a variance in observed performance gains, 5% to 300%. I would

I use raw-devices on a production machine. I don't know anything about performance improvement. I choose to use raw-devices because it's possible to loose a data-file when using fsck. But be sure, it's harder to administrate.

bye,

   ----->>>>>>>>>>>> Don't reply. Reply will not work! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

|  Carlos Augusto Leite Netto   | Voice  : +55.192.51.1153                  |
|  Software Design Informatica  | Fax    : +55.192.54.6518                  |
|  Oracle VAR                   | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br |
|  Software Development & DBA   | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto)          |
|  Softex 2000 member           | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city    |
  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 102 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

User Name: Carlos Netto - ( %mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br ) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.