Visual Basic & Dlls With Oracle

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.nwugate.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 12:02:13 -0500

  • Quoting Richard Shepard to All dated 09-18-94 ***
    > I wanted to know how to find the call parameters of the Oracle SQL*NET
    > Dll's in Visual Basic. I know Visual Basic can call Dlls, but you need to
    > know the type and number of all the parameters passed and returned
    > (right?).
    > Oracle won't give me them. They've not said it can't be done, but want
    > me not by a grand or two of software to do it. I'm sure it can be done.

> P.S. Would it be easier writing it in some other language?

Oracle supports using the DLL's in C, and provides header files and import libraries. Therefore, the supported way to use the DLL's and is to write a translation layer (DLL, VBX, LIB, or whatever) in C that accepts VB calls and makes C calls. This approach has the advantage of being able to change the C layer as calls change, isolating the VB program, and can take care of some of the datatypes and conversions which VB doesn't handle very well. Received on Fri Sep 30 1994 - 18:02:13 CET

Original text of this message