Forms performance [need help!]

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.nwugate.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 11:56:48 -0500

The first thing to assess is whether or not it really is the same query. Often, it isn't. You can verify this by using the SQL Trace facility.

> I have optimized SQL preferences on, I have bumped up the records buffered
> and down the number fetched. I am looking into clustering the two tables
> used in the join that the select hits but I don't think that should be
> neccessary because of the good speed through SQLDBA.

You need to do some homework. All you know is that you have a performance problem, but you have done little to establish the source. First, make sure it's the same query, being executed in the same way. There are many things which can affect performance in Forms, which are addressed in very different ways.

  • SQL*Net throughput. - Drawing/redrawing time. - Navigation overhead. - Fetching/buffering. - Query hints/ordering. - Database throughput.

Note that database throughput is usually the -least- likely candidate, given the same query; however, I would be very skeptical that the same query is being executed in the same way. Received on Fri Sep 30 1994 - 17:56:48 CET

Original text of this message