Re: # semaphors used by ORACLE

From: <KJOHNSON_at_ESRIN.BITNET>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 09:27:17 CET

In article <36crd0$jq2_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com>, dhuet_at_DHUET-PC says:
>In article <35ve19$5p8_at_pandora.sdsu.edu>, <gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil> writes:
>
>s.net!usc!nic-nac.CSU.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!monkfish!gtupper
>> From: gtupper_at_monkfish.nosc.mil (Greg Tupper)
>> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>> Subject: # semaphors used by ORACLE
>> Date: 23 Sep 1994 20:32:41 GMT
>> the test handy.) I know how to get the number of semaphores on the machine,
>> but I do not know how to get the number of semaphors oracle is using.
>>
>> Anyone have a solution?
>
>The easiest solution is to simply double the number of semaphore items in
>
>the Unix kernel that Oracle recomends for your particular platform. This has
>
>always worked for me when creating more than one instance on a Unix machine.
>
>David Huet
>Oracle Complex Systems
The number of processes specified in the INIT.ORA should be the same as the number of semaphores required at instance startup.

Therefore, if you add up the total number of processes across all instances and then set SEMMNS (by modifying the UNIX kernel) to a this value (or higher) you should not have the problem.

An easier alternative would be to reduce the the PROCESSES parameter in the INIT.ORA. Regards, Kevin.

Kevin Johnson                      EMAIL  :  johnson_at_mail.esrin.esa.it
Information Administrator          PHONE  :  (+39) 6 941 80 633
European Space Agency              DISCLAIMER :  These views are mine
Via Galileo Galilei                              not necessarily those
Frascati   00044                                 of my employer.
ITALIA.