Catalog fragmentation

From: Rich Bromberg <bromberg_at_hobbes>
Date: 30 Sep 1994 01:01:01 GMT

I have recently begun performance tuning for a data warehouse application which is close to going live. The front-end application creates views for each query submitted by a user, then drops the view once the query has completed. In my initial review of the system, I noticed that the dictionary cache hit ratio was relatively low (<90%), and that the system VIEW$ catalog table was already up to 8 extents.

Since the system has not been stressed yet, I fear that the extent allocation will continue to grow once the system is live. Due to the constant adding and deleting of rows, there must be a fair amount of fragmented space within each extent.

My question (finally) is, is there any way to defragment catalog tables? Also, is a client design which incorporates a DDL statement with each query insane?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards, Received on Fri Sep 30 1994 - 02:01:01 CET

Original text of this message