Forms4-Programming-Style

From: Juergen Degenhardt <Udegen_at_degen.escape.de>
Date: 29 Sep 1994 23:21:00 +0200

Hi there,
please help me settle a dispute with my colleagues. We are programming with Forms 4.0.12 for Windows since 3 weeks. But while i am totaly new with ORACLE some of my colleagues are programming with Forms 3 for about a year - or so - in an UNIX character oriented environment.
 We have to write an application which will include about 20 masks. I write "masks" for not to say forms, because there is the problem. My colleagues want to write this application by creating 20 forms. My point of view is to create only 1 (or 2) forms containing 20 canvases and perhaps 10 to 15 windows. I think this architecture is appropriate to the tool and the language PL/SQL.
 My colleagues said they have ever done so dividing the application in forms, because this makes it possible to work in parallel with many programmers.
 I say it's not so professional using only global variables for "communication" between forms modules in an application. You know, global variables have the type char and the fixed length of 200 bytes. Not very flexible! You have to do without the use of direct-referencing variables and items of objects lying in another form.  And what's about the memory which is allocated by calling a form and still occupied returning from it. (Our measurements gives a 1.6 kByte bunch lost per called form. ORACLE hotline said, it will bee clean in 4.0.13)
 Please let me here your opinions and arguments. What is a good, effective and appropriate architecture for the tool? Perhaps some literature hints? Is my newbie view wrong?

Thanks for helping settle a dispute.
Juergen Received on Thu Sep 29 1994 - 22:21:00 CET

Original text of this message