Re: Stored Procedures --- error handling

From: George V Chianese <georgec_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 01:24:43 GMT

Ian Abramson (ai178_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:

: I am having a problem with stored procedures. I am just starting
: to create one, and a critical function that must be used in the procedure
: is error handling.

: I am currently just trying to return an error message, when a
: certain action occurs.

: In my code I have tried 2 things.

: 1) use raise_application_error

: - This results in 3 error lines in SQL*Plus and
: in SQL*Forms an unhandled exception, but the right error
: number.

: 2) use an exception calling raise_application_error

: - same as above.

: The question is then how should I handle errors, and be able to
: return only 1 message in either Plus or a useful message in Forms (v 3).

Oracle support knows that raise_application_error returns the error number but not the error text to Forms 4. This is a known bug and is supposed to be fixed in Forms 4.0.13. We just received the update and that bug is not mentioned in the release docs. I have not had a chance to re-test.

Don't know what to tell you about SQL*Forms 3.0. You may have to just pass back an error code, which can be decoded by the Forms procedure.

George Chianese
Dallas Softworks, Inc. Received on Thu Sep 29 1994 - 02:24:43 CET

Original text of this message