Re: ORACLE 6 Backups

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 14:10:50 GMT

In article <1994Sep22.061941.1_at_gmuvax.gmu.edu> bgilst_at_gmuvax.gmu.edu writes:
>Hi,
> As far as I know, we have never lost a database using this scheme.

Personally, I have seen the exports be unimportable. Having to use the unix "strings" function to try to get past some bad data the export created never gave me the warm fuzzys.

Two points I didn't notice in your post.

  1. Have you ever tested your backup scheme, restoring a complete dataset from an arbitrary time, simulating a disastrous crash? This implies not believing everything in Oracle is bug free...
  2. You didn't mention anything about non-Oracle backing up. It can be very useful to keep flat ascii extracts of all your tables, if you have the room.

Sorry about all the double negatives, Oracle export brings that out in me :)

jg

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.