Re: ORACLE AND UNIX QUESTION

From: louis.avrami..jr <lou2_at_cbnewsg.cb.att.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 17:43:26 GMT

In article <CwsxDz.4yp_at_aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu> birznie_at_aplcenmp.apl.jhu.edu (Gunther Birznieks) writes:
>Question: Is Oracle limited to using Operating system files for its
>databases on UNIX? Or can you use RAW PARTITIONS to store data on a UNIX
>Box such as a Sun Sparcstation running Solaris.
>
>Thanks,
>
> Gunther

Yes, you can use raw disk slices for tablespaces in UNIX. What you want to to is create a link somewhere for each individual disk slice. The link is a character special link file to the actual slice. Here is an example of some SQL to create a tablespace:

		CREATE TABLESPACE FB
		DATAFILE '/dev/iodp06'
		SIZE 245M REUSE

	The file /dev/iodp06 is link to a 250 meg disk slice, say
/dev/dsk/c101t0d0s0. All of this will depend of course on how your system was initially set up. I am on UNIX SVR4, which is very similar to Solaris, so everything here should apply there also.

        A helpful book on the subject is the O'Reilly ORACLE PERFORMANCE TUNING GUIDE. The even describe how to place redo logs in raw slices for an added performance gain.

Lou Avrami ( attmail!lavrami ) Received on Wed Sep 28 1994 - 18:43:26 CET

Original text of this message