Re: Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10

From: <dhuet_at_DHUET-PC>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 18:36:23 EDT

In article <tcoxCwLt8K.2oy_at_netcom.com>, <tcox_at_netcom.com> writes:
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle,comp.databases.sybase
> From: tcox_at_netcom.com (Thomas B. Cox)
> Subject: Re: Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 22:31:31 GMT
>
> In article <Cw85tJ.6Gt_at_ilx.com>, Brian Ross <bross_at_ilx.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for comparisons of Sybase Release 10 and Oracle Release 7. In
> >particular I'm hoping for comparisons on performance, integrity, tools,
> >security, APIs, customer support, etc for these two vendors.

> >I recently received a matrix comparing the technical capabilities of
> >Oracle, Sybase, Informix and Ingres. It was very thorough. It looked like

> >Performance Capabilities Oracle Sybase Informix Ingres
> >1. Row Level Locking Y N etc etc
> >2. Page Level Locking N Y
> >3. etc

> >However, it compared Oracle 7 with Sybase 4.9, not Sybase 10. And, I do
> >not need info on Informix or Ingres.
>

> I would love to see some sort of reliable info on Sybase 10.
> Anybody got any pointers? Experiences? Rumors?
>
> Cheers.
>
> -Tom
> --
> Thomas Cox tcox_at_netcom.com
> PGP Key Available -- finger tcox_at_netcom.com.

The best recent comparison between Oracle and Sybase (I don't remember if it is System 10) is in PC Magazine this month. Needles to say, Oracle came out PC Magazine Editors Choice for the second year in a row...

I know I am not very objective about this, but I would also look into the Sybase 10 bashing that has been going on for the last few months in PC Week, et al. Financial analysts downgraded Sybase stock to hold from buy after learning that Sybase 10 had "fundamental problems with the kernel architecture" when it came to parallel processing (SMP & MPP) systems; as you added more processors, Sybase 10 actually performed WORSE!

David Huet
Oracle Complex Systems Received on Wed Sep 28 1994 - 23:36:23 CET

Original text of this message