Dropping datafiles??

From: <kkc_at_nauvax.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 22:02:33 GMT

I think I have just screwed up pretty good!

I added some data files to one of my tablespaces for temporary space usage. When I finished my processing, I used the "alter database datafile 'filename' offline drop;" command. It appeared as though the data files were dropped successfully. The processing that I did was not related to creating records, or tables, I was simply deleting from several tables at one time.

Yet, when I try to access some of those tables which were cleared, it tells me that those data files must exist in order to access those particular tables. When I look at dba_data_files, those datafiles are still part of the database. even though I dropped them! Well, the datafiles have been removed (without backup sigh, sigh!) and I am not sure if I have to restore this database from the day before or if there is some kind of recovery that I can run, or if I can delete the records out of dba_data_files (I thought this was a major no-no!)

Please help this trigger-happy fool!
Thanks!
Kathy Carmichael
kcarmich_at_coco.cc.az.us Received on Tue Sep 27 1994 - 23:02:33 CET

Original text of this message