Re: How to measure the speed

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 25 Sep 1994 22:01:32 -0500

In article <364s83$oei_at_netnews.upenn.edu>, Mark Ling <ling_at_underground.irhe.upenn.edu> wrote:
>Hi , there:
> I have a very simple question: My client asked me that How long I need to
>search one recorder from a 500*half million data table in Oracle data base,
>the Oracle was installed in 486DX66 server which is hooked up by ether net.
>My client's bottom line is 3 second, is it possible? how can I know whether
>it's possible or not? If it is impossible, updating the computer server, say
>using Pentinm 100 , can reach that goal(3 second for searching one
>recorder)?
>
> Thank you for your help in advance.

Hie
First How much RAM u have??
How fast is your hard drive??
How many concurrent users U have??

On a Database server like Oracle CPU migration dont achieve peformance throughput. If at all they do,It is small compared to what more RAM and a fast disk drive will achieve. Database servers are I/O Intensive. IMHO I would say 3 seconds is quite difficult. I wouldn't bet on that. Not even with a Pentium 100 . Even with Indexes on the table,3 seconds is tough.
U could use the time measuring feature and do your measurements. Please RTFM.

Thanks and Regards
Mahesh Vallampati
M.S. In EE
Dept.of Electrical Engineering,
Texas A & M University.
Ph:(409)845-6189
\\ In the Beginning there was Codd..... Received on Mon Sep 26 1994 - 04:01:32 CET

Original text of this message