Re: Oracle 7.0NT-Optimizer, full of bugs?

From: John Dennis <jdennis_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 14:49:49 GMT

Quick note on this subject:

If a index is not being use when it should, delete the statitics on *just* the index in question. Oracle optimizer should then pick it up and run with it. I have no idea why this works.

BTW, I greatly dislike (hate) the comment - "just use rule based". Like if your having a problem with some bug in stored procedures and someone says "just use an external C program instead". Not necessarily good advice. If you have truly dynamic queries then the optimizer is your best bet with some manipulation (deleting) of some analyzed info and hints on just those really bad queries and upgrade to 7.1

Yea 7.0 optimizer is a rough road but don't turn around - paved road is just ahead (7.1).

John Dennis Received on Sun Sep 25 1994 - 15:49:49 CET

Original text of this message