Re: SQL*Net locks up MS Windows

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1994 01:11:37 GMT

In a previous article, cj10_at_ucs.cam.ac.uk (C.J.Jardine) says:

>Server: Oracle 7.0.17.6.0 under SunOS 4.1.2.

   7.0.17??? 17???? When did that hit the streets? I thought 7.0.16 was the last before 7.1!

>Client: SQL*Net TCP/IP for Windows 1.1 over Lan Workplace
> unser MS Windows (for workgroups) 3.11
>
>Problem: I find that no other application will run on the client machine
> while an Oracle application is waiting for a response from
> the server. Other TCP/IP clients are not single threaded in
> this way.

   'Twas not always thus, however users of non-Oracle tools (Powerbuilder, ODBC etc) found that these tools expected the DB call to lock the system up and that same tools went quite insane when left to their own devices while the server was working. Hence the SQL*Net driver takes over the machine so that these tools will not crash.

   Hopefully powersoft and microsoft will get their acts together so that this is no longer necessary.

--
   - Doug Harris
     Database Administrator, System Development Division,