Oracle 7.0NT-Optimizer, full of bugs?

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.nwugate.fidonet.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 09:51:34 -0500

To help with your problem, more specific information is needed. Are you using the cost or the rule based optimizer? What is the DDL for your tables? Your indexes? What exact query are you having problems with?

> The optimizer often refuses to use the indexes and instead
> executes a full table scan on the HUGE table! And yes, I am
> using the leading portion of the index, or even all of it with
> equal-sign pointing at an existing entry.

There are many cases where it is faster to do a full table scan, rather than use the index, but it depends on the situation. Again, more information would be helpful.

> I've been told that there is a bug preventing you from giving hints
> to the optimizer so that won't help either.

Huh? By whom? The only times I've heard this is from somebody who completely misunderstands what hints are and how to use them. This may not be the case, but I remain skeptical. I've never had problems using hints... Received on Fri Sep 23 1994 - 16:51:34 CEST

Original text of this message