Re: 7.1 optimizer

From: Mike Marolda <mmarolda_at_dalxt004.dal.mobil.com>
Date: 23 Sep 1994 07:47:44 -0500

In article <35skep$h82_at_paperboy.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Teresa A Larson <larson_at_sled.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>The word I've been hearing is don't use it; it doesn't work. And I've
>seen such messages posted many times. I hadn't heard that it would be
>fixed in 7.1. Thanks for the info.
>
> Teresa Larson

Well, the word I've heard was that it was fixed in 7.0.16. I've been using it in that version and have been pleasently surprised. Using the cost based optimizer (sometimes with hints) has been very effective for us.

In any case, the general rule I've been following is to code for rule-based and allow the optimizer to have it's chance.

I'm sure that mileage will vary!

Mike Marolda Received on Fri Sep 23 1994 - 14:47:44 CEST

Original text of this message