Re: Index extents keep increasing but data remains the same

From: Stephen Zander <szander_at_tyndall2.tyndall.com.au>
Date: 23 Sep 1994 16:33:50 +1000

Partially filled pages in a b-tree index do not get reused until they are completely empty. If you are not deleting _all_ the rows from the table, when the new rows are added they will use new index pages and so more space. Before someone flames me for that, I'm assuming the your new key values are all greater than the old keys. If they fall inside the current ket range then obviously that's not necessarily true.

If the table ends up about the same size each day, why not create the index with a initial allocation large enough to hold all the pages it's likely to use? Then you won't suffer from a gradual fragementation of the tablespace as you create and delete the index.

Stephen

"Normallacy is a statistical illusion."
"A chicken is merely an egg's way of producing more eggs."