Software Eng. in Oracle: 2 questions

From: David J. Sullivan <dsulliva_at_AFIT.AF.MIL>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 17:41:47 GMT

I am new to the Oracle environment and am currently responsible for migrating our school databases (for Air Force Institute of Technology) from Oracle 6.0/Forms 2.3,3.0 to Oracle 7.0/Forms 4.0. I want to use this opportunity to institute (among other things) software engineering principles to our design and maintenance activities, including the use of CASE tools.

My questions are:

  1. What are useful metrics to track for Oracle development and maintenance (like the Software Engineering Institute recommends)?
  2. We currently own CASE 5.0 but are not using it, and I know CASE 5.1 is due out the end of the year. We had a bad experience with it before I arrived and people aren't thrilled with using it: the learning curve is a sharp one. I am convinced (for now) that CASE is the way to go. So, the question(s) is/are: is the CASE development process worth it? Are there good third party tools that help simplify the development process? Should we wait for 5.1 or press on with 5.0 (any 5.1 beta testers out there?) ? Any general comment on using Oracle CASE would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Lt David Sullivan Received on Thu Sep 22 1994 - 19:41:47 CEST

Original text of this message