Asynchronous I/O

From: Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 11:11:18 GMT

We're running Oracle7 on a HP9000/897/i70/HPUX 9.00 platform. We used the LV manager to create raw devices, on which the database was built.

Oracle advises to use asynchronous I/O, which is said to be a standard feature of HP-UX. I quote: "With HP-UX AIO, multiple database writes are sent to multiple disk drives without waiting for the previous writes to finish. For example, with 10 disk drives, 10 asynchronous writes can take place in the same amount of time as a single synchronous write...HP-UX AIO only works on raw devices" (Oracle7 Server for HP 9000 Series 700/800, Installation & Configuration Guide, Release 7.1.3).

Some questions that I have:

how can oracle be notified that the aio write was un-/succesfull?

how do you configure AIO in the kernel?

anybody seen performance gains using this feature?

    " " problems " " " ?

if RTFM tell me where.

Alvast bedankt!

Andre van Winssen

--
Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Ideta b.v., Frankemaheerd 6, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands