Re: Request for DBA tool information

From: Eco Systems <ecosys_at_shell.portal.com>
Date: 20 Sep 1994 21:44:08 GMT

In article <359tt8$5lm$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Haig Korikian <72410.3426_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on the following
>products:
>
> - DBArtisan
> - Desktop DBA and SQL Spy
> - DBGeneral
> - Patrol
> - DB-Vision
>
>The purpose of my query is that we are soon going to have Sybase
>installed and are looking for DBA tools and database monitors. These
>are provided by Sybase (SA Companion and SQL Monitor), but seem rather
>pricey compared to the potentially better 3rd party products that are
>available. So I am interested in finding out if any Sybase DBAs are
>using any of the above products and their opinion of the products.
>
>Since there are also plans to install Oracle within the enterprise, I
>was also wondering if any DBAs are using any of the above tools for
>Oracle administration, or even better for Oracle and Sybase
>administration.
>
>If you e-mail me your responses, I will summarize and post the
>information.
>Please try not to e-mail this account, but instead send responses to:
>haigkori_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us
>
>Thanks in advance for any responses.
>Haig

Haig,

If you are interested in event monitoring, space management or configuration management, I would recommend EcoTools by Compuware.

EcoTools will enable you to manage your distributed environment by monitoring the SQL Server (or Oracle instance), the machine it's running on and the network.

Event agents will help you receive notification of problems based on user defined thresholds. Data agents will help you build a performance baseline and predict future space requirements.

The tool has a GUI front-end and currently supports SunOS, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Sequent, SCO, NCR, and Pyramid.

You can get further information on EcoTools by contacting Compuware at 800-521-9353.

Mike McCarthy
Compuware
20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Suite 445
Cupertino, CA 95014 Received on Tue Sep 20 1994 - 23:44:08 CEST

Original text of this message