Re: Users vs Developers

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_uswnvg.com>
Date: 20 Sep 94 19:25:13 GMT

Terry Veli (g592291_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com) wrote:
: Should engineers in a production environment be allowed to create tables?

: This issue has created quite a bit of controversy within our group.
: We have a development lab where database design and application development
: takes place. Once completed and tested, the database and applications are
: moved into production for data loading and application use by the engineers.

In general, I personally will not allow this. This encourages sloppiness. Eventually, you may end up with a big mess such as data integrity and referential integrity problems (just to name 2). If they insist on doing this, tell them to use a spreadsheet. Remember, you are talking about production system, not development.

 Kim Ng
 (Just a low life contract programmer. Thus, my clients won't adopt my views.) Received on Tue Sep 20 1994 - 21:25:13 CEST

Original text of this message