Re: Oracle Installation Experiences

From: Paul Springer <pls_at_spica>
Date: 20 Sep 1994 15:41:21 GMT

In article <19940919.131959.60_at_almaden.ibm.com>, mitchj_at_VNET.IBM.COM wrote:

> The installation of the Oracle7 server was tedious and a labor
> intensive process. A significant amount of time was expended on
> preparation and system setup. For example, the product's entire
> directory structure had to be manually created and primed.
>
> During the database manager installation and customization, 2
> problems were encountered which required contacting Oracle technical
> support.

My favorite Oracle installation war story occurred the very first time I ever installed Oracle. The installation instructions told me to change the system password during the installation process, and asked me for a new password, which I gave it. The rest of the installation then proceeded to fail, because the installation scripts depended on the password
being the default 'manager'. Received on Tue Sep 20 1994 - 17:41:21 CEST

Original text of this message