Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Martin Sohnius <msohnius_at_novell.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 14:11:03 GMT

Bruce Olsen (bolsen_at_hebron.connected.com) wrote:
: Darren R. Davis (darrend_at_tahiti.USG.Sandy.Novell.COM) wrote:
: : In article <34ndu8$an6_at_zeus.IntNet.net>, steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net (Steve Williams) writes:
: : |>
: : |> My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
: : |> Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
: : |> Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
: : |> SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)
: : |>
<snip

: : Maybe this sounds like a sales pitch, but I would use Oracle 7 on
: : UnixWare. Or better yet, OracleWare which is a bundled package.
: : I am not certain if the ad is out yet, but we set a new benchmark
: : standard with Compaq, UnixWare, and Oracle. Definately check into it.

: I'd recommend using a UNIX implementation over Netware NLM if you need both
: development and production environments. The NLM only allows a single
: instance...
: .... Consider a
: UNIX server rather than a PC implmentaion.

I'm not gonna comment on the relative merits of OracleWare as an NLM or on UnixWare, just one thing:

Darren was *NOT* recommending the NLM, he was talking about UnixWare. UNIXWARE. Novell, yes, but *NOT* NetWare.

That's why this is crossposted to something called "comp.unix.unixware." :-)

Martin Sohnius          | "It doesn't matter whether the cat is      |
Novell Labs Europe      |  black or white, as long as it catches     |
Bracknell, England      |  mice."      - Deng Xiaoping               |
                        (I speak for myself, not for Novell or anyone else.)