Re: Problem With Novell!

From: Phil Scarr <prs9k_at_brain.neuro.virginia.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 1994 12:17:11 GMT

In article <35d42n$20q_at_crl4.crl.com>, Michael Natale <mnatale_at_crl.com> wrote:
>We are running Oracle 7 on Novell Netware 3.12. When we make queries to
>the database, our server utilization shoots up tp the nineties. Why?

Because in a client/server environment like Oracle, the server does a great deal of processing. On a Netware box this is reflected in the Server Utilization statistic. Normally, Netware is a fairly passive-type system which just serves up files and handles printing for the LAN, but when you add an active processing application like Oracle (or Legato Networker or even Btrieve) you are going to increase the workload of the server's processor.

>Are there any ways to tune the database to avoid such high Novell
>utilization?

It's a normal state of affairs for the most part. There isn't much to be done.

>Mike
>mnatale_at_crl.com

        -Phil

Phil Scarr, Computer Systems Engineer | Forget it, Jake,   | prs9k_at_Virginia.EDU
Neuroclinical Trials Center           | it's Chinatown...  | 804.243.0229 (v)
The Virginia Neurological Institute   |                    | 804.243.0294 (f)