Re: Oracle 7 small platform?

From: Bruce Olsen <bolsen_at_hebron.connected.com>
Date: 17 Sep 1994 05:26:13 -0700

Darren R. Davis (darrend_at_tahiti.USG.Sandy.Novell.COM) wrote:
: In article <
34ndu8$an6_at_zeus.IntNet.net>, steverw_at_zeus.IntNet.net (Steve Williams) writes:
: |> Subject: Oracle 7 small platform?
: |> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
: |> Organization: Intelligence Network Online, Inc.
: |> Summary:
: |> Keywords:
: |>
: |> My company is currently looking into implementing an Oracle 7
: |> Client/Server application. We are developing the application using
: |> Oracle's Netware NLM and Oracle Tools. (Netware v3.12 on a Compaq
: |> SystemPro 486DX/50 with 128 MB memory and 4 GB SCSI-2 drives)
: |>
: |> We expect the initial system to support 35 users utilizing Windows based
: |> Oracle applications. The database is expected to be no larger than 10
: |> GB. The majority of the users will be frequently updating and querying the
: |> database.
: |>
: |> We are not sure what hardware platform to use for the roll-out.
: |> We are considering SCO Unix on a Compaq system but we have not heard of
: |> any Oracle installations using SCO. All other alternatives will be
: |> considered. If anyone has any experience or opinion on SCO, Oracle,
: |> Netware/Oracle, or Unix please respond immediately.
: |>
: |> Steve Williams
: |> (Internet steverw_at_intnet.net)
: |> (CompuServ 76264,3561)
: |>
: |>

: Maybe this sounds like a sales pitch, but I would use Oracle 7 on
: UnixWare. Or better yet, OracleWare which is a bundled package.
: I am not certain if the ad is out yet, but we set a new benchmark
: standard with Compaq, UnixWare, and Oracle. Definately check into it.

: Darren R. Davis
: UnixWare Developer Support Engineer
: Novell Developer Support

: Any opinions expressed are my own, and may not represent those of Novell's.

I'd recommend using a UNIX implementation over Netware NLM if you need both development and production environments. The NLM only allows a single instance. Spread your data out over as many spindles as you can. Loading it up on two will cost you in performance. Put your index files on a different spindle (and scsi channel if you can) from your table spaces. Consider a UNIX server rather than a PC implmentaion. Received on Sat Sep 17 1994 - 14:26:13 CEST

Original text of this message