Re: trying to purchase a highly reliable ORACLE server configuration...

From: Alex Stebletsov <alex_at_ncbol.msk.su>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 1994 00:45:33 GMT

Deniz Akkus (deniz_at_atlas.ctr.columbia.edu) wrote:

: Sorry for wasting everyone's time but after wading through reams of
: product literature and some very vague salesmen I thought I would try my
: luck here..

: We are looking to purchase a system that will have no single point of
: failure for running our enterprise database. We would like zero down
: time (or close enough to zero, like 1 minute).

: We found one solution, the IBM HACMP 6000 system, (High Availability
: Clustered Multi Processing) which is 2 RS6000 servers connected together
: with a heartbeat, both accessing the same RAID bank. Oracle's Parallel
: Server would be running on this system. If one server goes down, the
: other server picks up the users and continues on.

: We would like to see whether or not we can get a similarly highly
: available system using perhaps 2 traditional UNIX servers, 2 banks of
: disk and keeping the two instances of the database in sync through
: replication services or perhaps a transaction monitor and achieve
: automatic fallback and re-synching (in the case of the HACMP, the
: fallback is done through IBM's software and there is no synching needed since
: there is one RAID), and do so with as close to 0 down time as possible.

: It seems at this point that with replication services, we do not achieve
: automatic takeover and there is no automatic re-synching of databases
: when the problem is over and the database is brought up. Although I
: have been told that using a transaction monitor this capability could be
: implemented, I do not know whether ORACLE has implemented this
: capability.

: We have no specific inclination towards any hardware platform. Cost,
: although always an issue, is not our greatest concern.

: Any help would be much appreciated.
: Thanks,

: Deniz Akkus

--
Whatever I said, my employer disagrees anyway...
Alex Stebletsov stebalex_at_netcom.com alex_at_steb.msk.su