Stored Procedures --- error handling

From: Ian Abramson <ai178_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 14:53:17 GMT

        I am having a problem with stored procedures. I am just starting to create one, and a critical function that must be used in the procedure is error handling.

        I am currently just trying to return an error message, when a certain action occurs.

        In my code I have tried 2 things.

  1. use raise_application_error
    • This results in 3 error lines in SQL*Plus and in SQL*Forms an unhandled exception, but the right error number.
  2. use an exception calling raise_application_error
    • same as above.

        The question is then how should I handle errors, and be able to return only 1 message in either Plus or a useful message in Forms (v 3).

Thank you in advance,

Ian Abramson

Ian Abramson				||   I think I am losing touch    |
ai178_at_freenet.carleton.ca (Ottawa, ON)	||   with reality.                |