Re: HELP--removing PUBLIC from one user

From: Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 14:20:05 GMT

esh6n_at_brain.neuro.virginia.edu (Ned Hamilton) writes:

>Oracle has a dozen or so tables with PUBLIC access (e.g. public.form_blk,
>public.form_page, etc.) I want to block the access of these tables to
>one user but keep the PUBLIC access to all other users.

>I don't want to have to go thru all of these tables dropping
>the public access and re-granting the access to all but this user.

>Any suggestions?

Well, since everybody is a member of PUBLIC, there's no other way than to drop the grants to public.

In Oracle7 you could create a role with the proper privileges and then grant the role "to all but this user". A much smaller amount of grant statements will be needed.

There are some restrictions on using roles and maybe one of them applies to this case, but i'm not sure.

good luck,

Andre

--
Andre van Winssen <andrevw_at_ideta.nl>
Ideta b.v., Frankemaheerd 6, 1102 AN Amsterdam, the Netherlands