Re: About to COMMIT,...suicide

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 1994 20:11:17 GMT

In a previous article, chollet_at_stna.dgac.fr (Eric Chollet) says:

>I try to use the audit mecanism on tables updated by a Pro*C piece of software
>and after what seems to be decades I still can't find any solution to my problem.
>May be someone here can save my life,...
 [ Chomp ]
> (I) Panic when I see that the table USER_AUDIT_TRAIL contains only
> one row when it should contain at least 10 of them one per insert.
> The first INSERT seems to tickle the audit mechanism but remaining
> INSERTs are discarted as far as the audit is concerned,...

   Sorry, but you are not going to get what you desire with V6. The Oracle audit facility only makes an entry when an SQL statement is parsed, not every time it is executed.

   If you want to audit every single insert (i.e. every new row) you may do this in Oracle7 using database triggers.

--
   - Doug Harris
     Database Administrator, System Development Division,